Showing posts with label Jose Luis Castillo. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Jose Luis Castillo. Show all posts

Monday, November 2, 2009

Jose Luis Castillo is very impressed with Manny Pacquiao

Jose Luis Castillo, who is one of Manny Pacquiao's sparring partners for the November 14th showdown with Miguel Cotto, is very impressed so far. Castillo believes that Manny is bigger and faster than Floyd Mayweather Jr. Castillo lost two close decisions to Mayweather during the early part of the decade when both were at 135lbs. Castillo also says Manny is a much harder puncher.

According to Jose Luis Castillo, Filipino warrior Manny Pacquiao is faster than Floyd Mayweather Jr. Castillo gave Mayweather two of the hardest fights in his career. There are many who think Castillo may have won the first encounter. Castillo was recruited as a sparring partner for Pacquiao's training camp in Baguio City. The Mexican fighter's body punching style was used to prepare Pacquiao for the November 14 bout with WBO welterweight champion Miguel Cotto.

Pacquiao's trainer Freddie Roach told doghouseboxing.com that Castillo informed him that Manny is a faster fighter than Mayweather. It's interesting because Castillo and Mayweather fought at 135-pounds. That would mean Pacquiao is a faster at 147 than Mayweather was at 135. Pacquiao vs Mayweather is the biggest fight in boxing and there is a heavy debate on which of the two fighters is actually faster. Castillo also told him that Pacquiao is a much harder puncher.

"I will tell you this, Jose Luis Castillo who fought Mayweather twice, told me that Manny is much faster and hits way harder. That was after just sparring with Manny for a couple of days," Roach said.

Roach does not buy the "size matters" logic when it comes to certain people picking Cotto to beat his fighter. He doesn't think size will play a role in the contest.

"They are a half inch apart [in height]. When you look at the pictures of them together, they look very similar in height and weight. But the thing is, Oscar was too big, Hatton was too strong, I’ve heard all those excuses before. Strength and height does not win fights, ability wins fights. Manny is a better boxer than Cotto," Roach said.

source Share/Save/Bookmark

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Pacquiao versus Cotto : Manny Pacquiao too sharp for Miguel Cotto says Castillo

MANILA, Philippines - Former two-time WBC lightweight champion Jose Luis Castillo is convinced there’s nobody out there within weight range capable of beating Manny Pacquiao and that includes Floyd Mayweather Jr. whom the Mexican has faced twice.

It goes without saying that Castillo, now working as Pacquiao’s sparmate, is sure the Filipino icon will dispose of Miguel Cotto when they meet at a catchweight limit of 145 pounds for the WBO welterweight title at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Nov. 14.

Trainer Freddie Roach shared Castillo’s remarks the other day as he assessed the 35-year-old warrior’s performance in two sparring sessions in Baguio City so far. Castillo flew in from Los Angeles via Hermosillo, Mexico, with another sparmate Danny Escobar and arrived in Baguio City in former Ilocos Sur Gov. Chavit Singson’s private plane last Sunday.

Castillo’s style resembles Cotto’s and that’s why he was brought in to spar with Pacquiao. He turned pro in 1990 and won his first 18 outings, 13 inside three rounds. In 2000, Castillo wrested the WBC lightweight crown from Stevie Johnston on points then lost it in his fourth defense to Mayweather in a close encounter in April 2002. Castillo was decisioned by Mayweather in a rematch eight months later but regained the vacant WBC title on a 12-round verdict over Juan Lazcano in 2004. Castillo then repulsed challengers Joel Casamayor and Julio Diaz before yielding the throne to Diego Corrales in 2005. He knocked out Corrales in a rematch but was prevented from claiming the WBC belt because he weighed in 3 1/2 pounds over the limit.

Now a welterweight, Castillo has won four in a row, knocking out James Wayka, Roberto Valenzuela, Christian Solano and Carlos Urias and is hoping for another world title crack.


At first, Roach was unsure of what Castillo could bring to the table as a sparmate. But now, he likes what he sees in the rugged Mexican gladiator.

“He’s a genuinely nice guy,” said Roach. “He’s probably doing 70 percent of what he can do. But he’s adjusting and getting more comfortable. He’s looking for a comeback to the big time. I’m willing to help him although I don’t know if I’ll be in his corner for his next fight.”

Roach said Castillo has asked if they could work together in the gym.

“I told him to show up about an hour early before Manny comes to the gym and I could help him out,” said Roach. “That’s no problem for me.”

Roach said while he likes Castillo, he can’t be sure if he’ll draft the Mexican as a sparmate for Pacquiao’s next fight.

“It really depends on whom Manny fights next because I’ll want sparmates who resembles the style of his next opponent,” said Roach. “If it’s Mayweather, I don’t know if Castillo will fit in. But he might. Castillo has fought Mayweather twice so he knows his style and tendencies well. Castillo thinks Manny will beat the heck out of Mayweather because he hits harder and he’s a lot quicker.”

What has impressed Castillo is the uncompromising work ethic in Pacquiao’s training camp.

“Castillo was Julio Cesar Chavez’ long-time sparring partner and it felt good when he told me he’s never been with a team in camp that works harder than us,” said Roach. “That’s saying a lot because Castillo has a lot of experience behind him.”

Roach said it wasn’t difficult to lure Castillo to Baguio City.

“No, it wasn’t hard to get him,” said Roach. “He wanted the opportunity to work with Manny. Everybody does. He’s amazed at how hard we work in the gym, how hard Manny works.”

Roach said Pacquiao’s sparring partners are top-quality. Aside from Castillo, Pacquiao spars with unbeaten junior middleweight Shawn Porter. Escobar is on standby. Another sparmate Urbano Antillon of Mexico was scheduled to fly back to Los Angeles yesterday. When Pacquiao reports for work at the Wild Card Gym in Los Angeles, Roach will likely recruit fresh sparmates including British world champion Amir Khan.

Porter, 21, was the US Golden Gloves champion in 2007 and fought over 200 amateur bouts. His pro record is 10-0 with eight KOs. Escobar, 20, is unbeaten in three bouts, all won by knockout in the first round.

In contrast, Cotto has been feasting on inferior sparring partners. He kicked out Francisco (El Gato) Figueroa after a week of sparring and has kept 37-year-old Fred Tukes and 25-year-old Kenny Abril. Figuero, 31, is coming off a knockout loss to Randall Bailey last April. Tukes has a 7-1-1 record, with five KOs, and is unbeaten in his last seven assignments but his age seems to be a liability. Abril has a 9-3-1 mark, with five KOs, and has won his last five. Figueroa, Tukes and Abril are, of course, all southpaws like Pacquiao.

Cotto will have completed 12 weeks of training when he climbs the ring to face Pacquiao. He began his camp in Puerto Rico and is now in Tampa, Florida. A legitimate welterweight, Cotto will trim down to 145 pounds to make the catchweight limit and may be burned out if he overtrains or is unable to naturally bring his weight down.

SOURCE





----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WATCH PACQUIAO - COTTO FIGHT ONLINE LIVE!!!  Share/Save/Bookmark

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Pacquiao Dominates Jose Luis Castillo

Entering his fourth week of training, Manny Pacquiao continues to dominate his sparring partner as he beefs up for his November 14 fight against Puerto Rico's Miguel Cotto.

Pacquiao sparred with highly-touted former two-time World Boxing Council (WBC) lightweight champion Jose Luis Castillo of Mexico for three rounds then wrapped up his day's session with a four-rounder opposite American Shawn Porter.

This, even as famed boxing coach Freddie Roach stressed that speed and not power will determine the outcome of the "Firepower" match-up between Filipino champ Pacquiao and the Puerto Rican.

Roach, who has been preparing Pacquiao in Baguio City for his toughest fight yet, said he expects Cotto to come out with his guns blazing at the sound of the opening bell at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

"I have been closely studying Cotto's fighting style even before the Firepower card was officially announced over a month ago and if we want to beat the Puerto Rican champ we have to take away his advantages," Roach said.

The three-time boxing trainer of the year said their main weapon for the fight would be Manny's lateral speed.

Roach added that Pacquiao will have to rattle Cotto's confidence early in the fight to be able to break down the reigning World Boxing Organization welterweight champ.

In his anticipated sparring with Castillo, Pacquiao used his vastly improved lateral movements in trying to avoid the Mexican's uppercuts and body shots.

Pacquiao stalled Castillo's aggressive attacks with three to five punch combos and counter left straights.

The 35-year-old Castillo (60-9-1, 52 knockouts) ended his first day of sparring with specks of blood on his left nostril.

Roach, who at first seemed cautious when it comes to having Castillo as Pacquiao's sparring partner, now expressed contentment in having the Mexican inside the gym.

In sparring with Porter, Pacquiao again worked on his footwork and stiff combos while moving out of harm's way.

Roach also denied reports circulating on the Internet that Pacquiao was knocked down in one sparring session last week, adding that no one has come close to flooring Pacquiao in any of their sparring sessions in their Baguio training camp.

Last weekend, Internet forums were deluged with queries and reports Pacquiao got tagged by American sparring partner Porter.

Roach has promised $1,000 for anyone who could put down Pacquiao during sparring.

SOURCE

Share/Save/Bookmark

Monday, October 5, 2009

Jose Luis Castillo as Pacquiao Sparring Partner

The 35 year old former lightweight Champion, Jose Luis Castillo of Mexico will be heading to Baguiao, Philippines to spar with Manny Pacquiao as a late replacement for Omar Henry who was considered a Cotto clone. Henry’s team could not come to an agreement with team Pacquaio so Castillo was called in to fill the void. Shawn Porter and Urbano Antillon have already sparred 12 rounds with the Pacman, Urbano will be leaving for the U.S soon to acclimate for his up coming fight.



“If he’s not in shape I’ll send him home right away,” Roach told The Philstar, Roach only wants competitive sparring for his fighter in prepartion for WBO welterweight champion Miguel Cotto of Caguas, Puerto Rico. Castillo whose best days are behind him, was known for his exciting war with the late Diego Corrales in which Castillo suffered a 10th round TKO loss in a back and forth battle. Castillo is also known for his controversial unanimous decision loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr. a fight which many boxing fans believe Castillo had one. Pacquiao’s Baguiao training camp breaks on October 24, in which the Team will be flying back to Hollywood, California to finish off training.

Source Share/Save/Bookmark